Book - 101 Knife Designs by Murray Carter
- A Great bookI must say this is a great book that covers some harder to find details of knife design, that centers on Practical use blades. the title is quite clever as well as it not only shares 101 knifes designs in the back, but also covers introductory class in college courses. the book covers designs from basic utility knifes up to machetes and was easy for me to understand. It also helps answer one of the most important questions about knife design: Just how thick do I make this B****. It also covers the authors presses for making a knife pattern. It also does include at the end 101 knife patterns.
All and all I learned far more about knife design then I knew before reading this. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn bladesmithing and to anyone who wants to learn the finer points of blade design. However, I must say that well this is a great book for learning how to design a blade, you should your own way of prototyping that fits you. example: I like to use clip studio paint over hand drawing a blade. I like clip studio because as I can draw the blade to size, then size the blade for printing it out in 8.5x11 printer paper to be printed out in full size. I also prefer to fine tune the blade as I am forging it for the first time, take a picture of the finished project and trace it out using Clip studio paint. However, I do plan on Incorporating some of Murray's design techniques into my own. I also own Murray's other book: Bladesmithing with Murray Carter: Modern Application of Traditional Techniques and this one is a good beginner/newbie book.
101 Knife Designs by Murray Carter
In 101 Knife Designs, join master smith Murray Carter as he reveals the successful traits of knife designs that have lasted throughout history. Knife enthusiasts and knife makers alike will learn to:
- Identify common traits in great knives.
- Understand how to apply them to new knife design.
For the first time ever, Carter shares details of his personal collection of successful patterns--created and perfected over decades of designing and making knives.
Dazzling, full-color images of completed knives--from renowned photographer Hiro Soga--provide inspiration and direction as you apply these principles to create your own custom knife designs.
With 101 Knife Designs, you, too, can make practical knives that will become cherished keepsakes.
- Carter, Murray
- Genre:CRAFTS & HOBBIES / Metal Work
- Publisher:Krause Pubns Inc
- Publish Date:06/25/2013
- Height:10.88 in