Smiths, the leader in innovative sharpening technology, is proud to offer an electric knife sharpener that incorporates both manual and mechanical sharpening elements. This unique combination provides a broad capability to easily sharpen dull blades and maintain razor sharp edges.
- Pre-set Sharpening Angles
- Sharpens Both Sides of the Blade
- Ceramic Rods for Final Edge Honing
- Soft-Grip Rubber Handle
- Non-Slip Rubber Feet
Caution: Always sharpen your knife blade from the heel to the tip of the blade. Never insert the tip of the knife blade into the blade guide first or push your knife blade through the sharpening slot. This could damage the knife sharpener and/or your knife. Due to some handle designs, you may not be able to sharpen the entire length of the blade using the electric sharpening wheel. We recommend using the manual sharpening slots in these limited cases.
- Clean all food or dirt off your blade. Never sharpen a dirty knife blade as this could cause the sharpener to malfunction or damage the sharpening wheel.
- Insert the plug on th end of the power cord into a standard 120 volt electrical outlet. Connect the other end of the power cord into the end of the sharpener.
- Place the unit on a flat, sturdy surface and turn the unit ON by pressing the vertical ON/OFF switch. you will notice two sharpening slots for electric sharpening, one for each side of your blade. In order to get the best results and to reduce excessive wheel wear, it is important that you do the same number of strokes on each side of your blade. Select the sharpening slot you would like to use first.
- Hold the knife securely by the handle as you would in normal usage and position the heel of the blade over the selected sharpening slot. While holding the blade parallel to the table, lower the heel of the blade until it contacts the synthetic sharpening wheel. As soon as contact is made and you hear the distinctive grinding sound, pull the blade at a consistent speed though the sharpening slot using light, downward pressure. To sharpen the tip of the blade, lift up on the knife handle slightly as the curved portion of the blade is drawn through the blade guides.
- Contine alternating passes between the two slots at the recommended speed.
Manual Sharpening Instructions:
Use the manual finishing slot to complete the sharpening process by removing any burrs left on your blade from the sharpening wheel and hone both side of your blade.
- Hold the blade parallel to the table and center the heel of the blade in the bottom of the crossed ceramic rods.
- Starting at the heel of the blade, pull the blade through the crossed ceramic rods while applying light, downward pressure (never back and forth). Remember to lift at the end of the stroke to sharpen the tip of your blade.
- Repeat this process until your blade is razor sharp. Usually 3 or 4 strokes is all it takes.
- To clean the exterior housing, unplug the unit from the electrical outlet and simply wipe with a damp cloth
- Do not use a powered abrasive cleaner to clean sharpener
- Do not immerse or flush the sharpener with water
- Do not use any lubricant or water to clean the abrasive wheel
- Do not use a lubricant on any other component